Pages

Monday 26 March 2012

My blog header ..


It took me a long time to work out how to do my blog header. I knew what I wanted, something that would me me, represent my style of work and look as real as possible. By real, I wanted the stitches to show up and I knew that a photograph would make it look dead.
The only way I could think of doing it was to scan it in.

I cut a piece of very thick interfacing the length of my scanner and half the width. I chose my main fabric and cut it large enough to wrap over the sides. The main problem was how to applique on the letters as they had to be thin in order to fit on.... I knew that if I cut them to size I would have a real problem in that they would move and could fray and even fall apart. Deciding how to go about this went round and round in my head for days.... Thinking through all the options I suddenly hit upon the answer...
I cut some paper the same size as the interfacing and drew on the letters. I wrapped the fabric over the interfacing and stuck it down with masking tape. Next I chose and cut the fabrics for each letter into oblongs and squares a little larger that my design and laid them in place, then I pinned the design over the top. 
I have a new sewing machine and had to look up how to lower the feed teeth and altered the tension to loosen it slightly. The rest was simple...I used free machine sewing to sew over the outline of each letter through all the layers. 
Free machine embroidery is when the machine just stitches and you move the material in the direction you wish...you can go in any direction...it is like drawing with a sewing machine... There are many videos on you tube that explain how to do this.
After outlining each letter I tore away the paper and did more embroidery around each letter with sparkly silver lurex thread... when I had the effect I desired I cut the surplus fabric away from around each letter.





I am very pleased with my header. I did not want to waste all that hard work so I have made it into a picture. I sewed some strips of pretty fabrics around my design and stretched it over a canvas.

The only problem being...every time I look at it ...I am reminded that I should be working !




No comments:

Post a Comment