Pages

Thursday 23 February 2012

Fabric birds .....fairy lights in a twiggy tree.....





Before Christmas I bought this pretty twiggy tree complete with fairy lights....Sometimes I love my decorations so much that I keep them up all year....So it was with this tree.

 I have a dark little house and in the evening the stair light is permanently on as Charlie is forever up and down the stairs.....I adore the twinkle of fairy lights and placed the tree on a little chest of draws on the landing....It looked pretty, but a bit bare ....so....I made these little birds in various sizes from some of my favourite fabric scraps to hang in the tree.

 I wanted real feathers for the tails but no where locally sells them...impatient as I am I used wool. I cut the wool over twice the length I needed and knotted it in the middle, inserted it in the tail end and sewed up the hole with tiny stitches catching the wool in so that it could not pull out.....I used flower sequins for the eyes, sewing a weeny black bead in through the hole...the wings are just felt sewn on with a contrasting button. I threaded fishing line through to hang them from as this is fairly invisible....



This is the result....I tried to take a photo in the dark but it did not show up the details...so...sorry you can not see how pretty they really look....I put them on as soon as it starts to get dark and they light the stairs in a much nicer way than a ceiling light...

No comments:

Post a Comment