Pages

Friday 29 June 2012

A very small pretty garden ...




I thought I would show you a few photos of how my garden is changing.... The photo below was taken in the spring...



I moved to this house over nine years ago...I have never really been happy here, mainly because the house is just so small. This is a two bedroom house and I have the smallest room as my son Charlie has more things.. uses his room more...and need a private space to do the things 15 year old boys do. The second bedroom only being big enough to fit in a double bed along the window wall with the headboard and footboard touching the walls from end to end. I have a single wardrobe and bed side cabinet, which in no way have or ever will accomodate my clothes shoes etc. 

The other thing I hated was the garden. It has taken me nine years to get it all fenced and make it private. Originally there was low chicken wire fencing and if you stood at the end of the garden you could see along the whole terrace of six houses. When I moved it the garden was muddy turf and there were no plants. My father dug up the whole garden and laid new turf. My mother showed  me how to plant which I had never done before. After a couple of years the turf had turned to mud again...The soil is heavy clay and the garden flooded...


My father replaced the lower lawn with crazy paving which looked really pretty...but still it flooded. I raised the bottom half up with bags of sand and had a soak-away dug...eventually I covered it in pebbles as the whole thing was messed up and I still got puddles... last year I dug up the grass from the top ...raised it and layed a wooden frame work with slabs and pebbles for drainage...it still flooded!!! So this year I took it all up again ...dug out the pebble areas deeper and dug two big soak-aways which I filled with broken slabs and pebbles. How many bags of stones are in this garden I hate to think..all is I know it has been extremly hard work...hurt my back and cost a lot.




I have four old chairs that my parents gave me and told me off for using in the garden!!! Over the years they have been outside most of the varnish has come off so I am in the process of scraping off the remainder and painting them with wood stain. The one above is in my favourite colour and is for my little sunny decked area at the top of the garden...



Only one half is decked at last years good weather ended before it could be finished...


This is the area where I sit and chill...or try to as I am usually stressed....

 

I had to show you my new flip-flops...pretty aren't they...very cheap from Asda..

 

 I am starting to love my garden.....



I am allowing myself  to endulge in whatever I feel like adding to this little area.....



The fence here is just three large pallets turned on their ends with the underneath facing inwards...I did it this way as it gave me shelves to support the window boxes . The backs are filled in with off cuts of decking and whatever would fill them for privacy...It is arty...peaceful...private...sunny...and totally me.....x

1 comment:

  1. your court yard is absolutely stunning...puts mine to shabby shame ;0)...love the seating area x

    ReplyDelete